Butler W. Lampson
The papers and other items are listed approximately in chronological order of publication. Each has an abstract. Nearly all are available on-line at least in Acrobat form. Many of them also appear as Web pages and as Microsoft Word documents. Some have Postscript files. When an item is about a system that I worked on, there is a cross-reference to a brief description of that system.
There are some items that are not regular publications but internal memos, interviews, etc. For the most part they have labels of the form 10a, 10b, etc.
2. A user machine in a time-sharing system. Proc. IEEE 54, 12 (Dec. 1966), pp 1766-1774. Reprinted in Computer Structures, ed. Bell and Newell, McGraw-Hill, 1971, pp 291-300 (with M. Pirtle and W. Lichtenberger). , , , , . See .
3. A critique of ‘An exploratory investigation of programmer performance under on-line and off-line conditions’. IEEE Trans. Human Factors in Electronics HFE-8, 1 (Mar. 1967), pp 48-51. Abstract, Acrobat.
5. A scheduling philosophy for multi-processing systems. Comm. ACM 11, 5 (May 1968), pp 347-359. Abstract, Acrobat, Acrobat, SOSP version, Acrobat, CACM version, Web page, Word. See Berkeley Computer Corporation.
7. On reliable and extendible operating systems. Proc. 2nd NATO Conf. on Techniques in Software Engineering, Rome, 1969. Reprinted in The Fourth Generation, Infotech State of the Art Report 1, 1971, pp 421-444. Abstract, Acrobat (InfoTech version), Word, Web page, Acrobat. See .
8. Protection. Proc. 5th Princeton Conf. on Information Sciences and Systems, Princeton, 1971. Reprinted in ACM Operating Systems Rev. 8, 1 (Jan. 1974), pp 18-24. , , , , .
8a. Teaching of computer design to computer science undergraduates. In The Teaching of Computer Design, Proceedings of the joint IBM-University of Newcastle Seminar, September, 1971. Abstract, Acrobat.
10. Remarks on the nature of programming. Guest editorial, Software-Practice and Experience 2, 3 (Jul. 1972), pp 195-196. , , , , .
11. A note on the confinement problem. Comm. ACM 16, 10 (Oct. 1973), pp 613-615. , , , , .
14. An open operating system for a single-user machine. Rev. Francaise d'Automatique, Informatique et Recherche Operationnelle 9, B-3 (Sept. 1975), pp 8-15. Substantially revised as [ ]. See .
15. Reflections on an operating system design. Comm. ACM 19, 5 (May 1976), pp 251-265 (with H. Sturgis). , , , , . See .
17. Report on the programming language Euclid. ACM Sigplan Notices 12, 2 (Feb. 1977), pp 1-85 (with J. Horning, R. London, J. Mitchell, and G. Popek). Revised as Technical Report CSL-81-12, Xerox Palo Alto Research Center. Abstract, Acrobat. See .
22. An open operating system for a single-user machine. ACM Operating Systems Rev. 11, 5 (Dec. 1979), pp 98-105 (with R. Sproull). Substantially revised version of [ ]. , , , , . See .
24. A processor for a high-performance personal computer. Proc. 7th IEEE Symposium on Computer Architecture, La Baule, France, 1980, pp 146-160 (with K. Pier). Reprinted in 25 years of the International Symposia on Computer Architecture (selected papers), 1998, pp 180-194. Also in Technical Report CSL-81-1, Xerox Palo Alto Research Center. Abstract, Acrobat as published, Acrobat (produced by scanning and OCR, with some errors), Word, Web page. See .
25. Alto: A personal computer. In Computer Structures: Principles and Examples, second edition, ed. Siewiorek, Bell and Newell, McGraw-Hill, 1981, pp 549-572. Also appeared as Technical Report CSL-79-11, Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, August 1979 (with C. Thacker, E. McCreight, R. Sproull, and D. Boggs). Abstract, Acrobat. See .
26. Distributed Systems-Architecture and Implementation, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 105, Springer, 1981 (editor, with M. Paul and H. Siegert).
30. Fast procedure calls. Proc. 1st International Symposium on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems, ACM Sigplan Notices 17, 4 (Apr. 1982), pp 66-75. Abstract, Acrobat.
32. Organizing software in a distributed environment. Proc.1983 ACM SIGPLAN Symposium on Programming Language Issues in Software Systems, ACM Sigplan Notices 18, 6 (Jun. 1983), pp 1-13 (with E. Schmidt). Abstract, Acrobat. See .
33. Hints for computer system design. ACM Operating Systems Rev. 17, 5 (Oct. 1983), pp 33-48. Reprinted in IEEE Software 1, 1 (Jan. 1984), pp 11-28. , , , , .
35. A kernel language for modules and abstract data types. In Semantics of Data Types, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 173, Springer, 1984, pp 1-50 (with R. Burstall). Revised version appeared as [ ]. Abstract, Acrobat. See System modeling.
36. Designing a global name service. Proc. 4th ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, Minaki, Ontario, 1986, pp 1-10. , , , , . See .
37. A global authentication service without global trust. Proc. IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, Oakland, April 1986, IEEE order number 716, pp 223-230 (with A. Birrell, R. Needham, and M. Schroeder). , , , , . See .
38. Personal distributed computing: The Alto and Ethernet software. In A History of Personal Workstations, ed. A. Goldberg, Addison-Wesley, 1988, pp 293-335. , , , , . See , , , , . A companion paper by C. P. Thacker on the Alto hardware is here.
39. Pebble: A kernel language for modules and abstract data types. Information and Computation 76, 2/3 (Feb./Mar. 1988), pp 278-346 (with R. Burstall). Revision of [ ]. Abstract, Acrobat. Slides with a synopsis of Pebble are here. See System modeling.
41. The Digital distributed system security architecture. Proc. 12th National Computer Security Conf., NIST/NCSC, Baltimore, 1989, pp 305-319 (with M. Gasser, A. Goldstein, and C. Kaufman). Abstract, Word, Web page, Acrobat, Postscript as published, Acrobat as published. See .
42. Authentication and delegation with smart-cards. Science of Computer Programming 21, 2 (Oct. 1993), pp 91-113 (with M. Abadi, M. Burrows, and C. Kaufman). , , .
43. Requirements and Technology for Computer Security. In Computers at Risk, National Academy Press, Washington, 1991, pp 74-101. , , , , .
44. A calculus for access control in distributed systems. ACM Trans. Programming Languages and Systems, 15, 4 (Oct. 1993), pp 706-734 (with M. Abadi, M. Burrows, and G. Plotkin). , , . See .
45. Authentication in distributed systems: Theory and practice. ACM Trans. Computer Systems 10, 4 (Nov. 1992), pp 265-310 (with M. Abadi, M. Burrows, and E. Wobber). , , , , . See .
46. On-line data compression in a log-structured file system. ACM Sigplan Notices 27, 9 (Sept. 1992), pp 2-9 (with M. Burrows, C. Jerian, and T. Mann). Abstract, Postscript of SRC technical report, Acrobat of SRC technical report, Acrobat as published. See .
47. Reliable messages and connection establishment. In Distributed Systems, ed. S. Mullender, 2nd ed., Addison-Wesley, 1993, pp 251-281. , , , , .
48. Principles of Computer Systems. Lecture notes for 6.826, MIT (with W. Weihl, N. Lynch, M. Rinard and D. Jackson). These links are for the 2006 edition of the course. , Acrobat (2.6 MB, about 450 pages), Word (5.5 MB), Web page (the course Web page at MIT).
50. Correctness of at-most-once message delivery protocols. Proc. 6th International Conference on Formal Description Techniques, Boston, 1993, pp 387-402 (with N. Lynch and J. Sřgaard-Andersen). Abstract, Postscript, Acrobat.
51. Authentication in the Taos operating system. ACM Trans. Computer Systems 12, 1 (Feb. 1994), pp 3-32 (with E. Wobber, M. Abadi, and M. Burrows). , Postscript, Acrobat of SRC report, Acrobat of TOCS version, Word, Web page, Acrobat of Word version.. See .
53. Putting Telecommunications on the Technology Curve: Architecture and Economics. Lecture notes for 6.892, MIT/LCS/RSS-23, Laboratory for Computer Science, MIT, February 1994 (with S. Gillett and D. Tennenhouse).
54. Interconnecting computers: Architecture, technology, and economics. Proc. Conference on Programming Languages and System Architectures, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 782, Springer, 1994, pp 1-20. , , , , .
55. Executive summary. In Evolving the High Performance Computing and Communications Initiative to Support the Nation's Information Infrastructure, National Academy Press, Washington, 1995, pp 1-12 (with I. Sutherland, E. Lazowska, and others). Abstract, Acrobat. The latest (2002) version of the tiretracks diagram that shows how computing research has spawned multi-billion dollar industries in Acrobat or Word format.
56. Analysis and caching of dependencies. ACM SigPlan International Conference on Functional Programming, Philadelphia, May 1996, pp 83-91 (with M. Abadi and J. Levy). Abstract, Postscript, Acrobat. See .
57. Virtual infrastructure: Putting information infrastructure on the technology curve. Computer Networks and ISDN Systems 28, 13 (Oct. 1996), pp. 1769 - 1790 (with D. Tennenhouse, S. Gillett, and J. Klein). , , , , .
60. Revisiting the Paxos algorithm. Proc. WDAG'97, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1320, Springer, 1997, pp 111-125 (for extended version see [63a]) (with R de Prisco and N. Lynch). Abstract, Acrobat. See Paxos.
61. IP lookup using multiway and multicolumn binary search. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 7, 3 (June 1999), pp 324-334 (also in Infocom 98, April 1998) (with V. Srinivasan and G. Varghese). Abstract, Postscript, Acrobat.
62. SPKI Certificate Theory. Internet RFC 2693, http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc2693.html (Sept. 1999) (with C. Ellison, B. Frantz, B. Lampson, R. Rivest, B. Thomas, T. Ylonen). , , , , . See SDSI.
63. Information systems security. In Realizing the Potential of C4I: Fundamental Challenges, National Academy Press, 1999 (with T. Berson and R. Kemmerer). , , , , .
70. Software Components: Only the Giants Survive. In Computer Systems: Theory, Technology, and Applications, K. Sparck-Jones and A. Herbert (editors), Springer, 2004, pp 137-146. Abstract, Acrobat, Web page, Word.
71. A conceptual authorization model for web services. In Computer Systems: Theory, Technology, and Applications, K. Spark-Jones and A. Herbert (editors), Springer, 2004, pp 165-172 (with P. Leach et al.). Abstract, Acrobat, Web page, Word. See Web services security.
75. Practical principles for computer security, In Software System Reliability and Security, NATO Security through Science Series D: Information and Communication Security, vol. 9, IOS Press, 2007, pp 151-195. Abstract, Acrobat, Web page, Word
79. Declarative programming: The light at the end of the tunnel, in Points of View:A tribute to Alan Kay, Viewpoints Research Institute, Glendale CA, 2010, pp 151-163. Abstract, Acrobat, Web page, Word
83. A machine learning framework for programming by example, Proc. 30th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), JMLR Workshop and Conference Proceedings 28, 1, (June 2013), pp 187-195 (with Aditya Menon, Omer Tamuz, Sumit Gulwani, and Adam Kalai). Abstract, Acrobat.
84. A colorful approach to text processing by example, Proc. 26th ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST), Oct 2013, pp 495-504 (with Kuat Yessenov, Shubham Tulsiani, Aditya Menon, Robert C. Miller, Sumit Gulwani, and Adam Kalai ). Abstract, Acrobat, Web page, Word
85. Bulk Collection of Signals Intelligence: Technical Options, National Academies Press, 2015 (by the Committee on Responding to Section 5(d) of Presidential Policy Directive 28, Computer Science and Telecommunications Board, National Research Council). Abstract, Acrobat